Your roof is your home’s first defense against harsh weather. It’s a complex system with many part, all of which are important in keeping your family warm and dry all year round. It’s also a system where various parts require periodic of not routine maintenance including your eavestroughs or gutters.
A Clark Roofing and Siding LP has over 60 years in the residential roofing and siding business, backed by a 5-year workmanship warranty and an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau. A. Clark’s knowledgeable and friendly roofing contractors specialize in meeting all your roofing needs, including providing quality roofing installations of eavestrough systems, and aluminium, cedar or smartboard fascia, hardie board, or smartboard soffits. Based on this experience, here’s a few points as to why keeping your gutters clean is important.
Cleaning gutters is an easy job to put off, but the longer you wait the worse it can get. Most homeowners don’t think about their home gutter system until the gutters stop working properly. Thoroughly cleaning your gutters every spring and fall will help keep them working properly.
Debris can build up and cause damage to your downspouts and cause water damage to your roof, your home, and devalue your investment. Issues caused by clogged gutters include:
- Roof water overflows and accumulation around your foundation, and excess water against the foundation can weaken the footings, lead to cracks, and a wet basement.
- When gutters have debris piled up above the flashing or shingle line, the debris can hold moisture on the fascia board and can also affect the roof sheathing and framing beyond the fascia.
- Water can pond in areas dammed by debris, making it ideal for breeding mosquitoes, and plants, birds, insects and even mice will make a home in gutter debris.
- Clogged gutters and downspouts can also cause driveway and walkways to sag and crack.
Cleaning out your home’s gutters is a necessary task, but not heeding caution can cause personal injury and property damage. Here are a few tips to keep you safe:
- Let someone know you are cleaning your gutters;
- Use a safe and secure ladder;
- Rake leaves and other debris off the rooftop first;
- Wear rubber-soled shoes when walking on the rooftop;
- Use a plastic gutter scooping tool;
- Wear gloves and proper eyewear;
- Unclog downspouts; and,
- Watch out for hazardous power lines.
Roof Maintenance in Edmonton
Gutter Cleaning is “Preventative Maintenance” on one of your most valuable assets – your home. If you have questions, or concerns about your eavestrough systems, fascia, and soffits, or any of our roofing services, contact A Clark Roofing and Siding LP in Edmonton at 780.465.7571 today.