For that rustic, natural look that provides years of protection against Alberta’s harshest weather, A. Clark Roofing & Siding LP has you covered. Whether you are restoring a historic home, renovating old cedar shakes or cedar shingles, or looking for a fresh new cedar roof, trust A. Clark to provide you with the expertise to make an informed decision about going cedar. Need service for a cedar roof repair or roof maintenance? We can do that for you as well.
One of the oldest products used for protection against the elements, cedar shakes and cedar shingles are an excellent choice for customers looking for a strong 30- to 40-year specialty roofing product with great attic space breathability. With elongated steel flashings and a thick layer of felt underlayment, cedar shakes and shingles are suitable for enduring weather in our harsh Alberta climate and look great too!
Our experienced team can provide you with a free, no obligation estimate
Our installation crew will prepare the job site by ordering cedar roofing materials and getting them delivered to site.
Our team of roofing professionals will complete the work as contracted by the property owner.
We periodically check on the project for the safety, workmanship, site cleanliness, and our customer’s satisfaction.
With over 70 years of experience, trust A. Clark Roofing and Siding to get the job done right, meeting all your roofing and siding needs.
Cedar shakes & shingles installation
Some considerations when using cedar:
- For a roofing renovation, going from asphalt to cedar or cedar to asphalt, the roof flashing sizes are different for each product and may need adjustment or replacement. The eavestroughing may also need adjustment.
- When considering a cedar shake, thickness from ½” medium shakes to ⅞” heavy premium shakes make a very large impact on reliability and lifespan.
Some considerations when moving away from cedar:
- Many neighbourhoods with lots of cedar roofs have architectural standards that dictate the types of roof materials that can be used.
- If converting to asphalt shingles, there are some products that satisfy these architectural standards.
- Roof flashing sizes and requirements differ for each category of roofing products. There will be extra costs associated with adjusting or changing these flashings, especially if the siding needs to be removed. There are a few solutions in dealing with this problem.
- If the flashing is not changed, especially when converting to a thinner product, the flashing will be more visible and may not be aesthetically pleasing.
Cedar shingles price
The price of cedar shingles and cedar shakes has fluctuated a lot. This volatile market is largely due to supply, sourcing, regulations and international demand. Cedar shakes and cedar shingles have always cost more than traditional asphalt shingles, and are usually chosen because of aesthetics. There are also cedar maintenance costs and time to consider.
With over 70 years of roofing experience in Edmonton and Calgary, trust A. Clark to install a high-quality, long-lasting cedar roof. Contact us today for a free estimate or for more information on cedar shakes or cedar shingles.
Get a free quote
No unexpected charges—see exactly what your home needs with a free, upfront estimate.