Shingles are by far the most common roofing type found on residential homes, offering numerous benefits and endless options of colors, styles, types and materials depending on your roofing needs.
Why choose asphalt shingles?
It’s easy to see why asphalt shingles are the top choice for most roofing solutions when you look at the numerous benefits they offer.
- Cost effective: Asphalt shingles provide excellent value with their durability, curb appeal, and easy installation. This often comes at a lower price point than other roofing materials, such as metal roofing or cedar shakes.
- Weather resilient: With record temperatures of -61 degrees, Calgary and Edmonton homeowners need a roof that can withstand sub-zero temperatures, heavy snowfall and harsh blizzards and hail. Asphalt shingles are very hardy, and can earn a class 4 impact rating against hail damage – a rating that many insurance companies are acknowledging as the highest tier protection for a roof.
- Eco-friendly: Asphalt shingles are recyclable. Once it’s time to replace your older asphalt shingles, you can rest easy in knowing that your carbon footprint will be smaller. These shingles are often recycled into road fill and other asphaltic products.
Types of asphalt shingles
Considering all the benefits, it’s easy to see why so many homeowners choose asphalt shingles. But that’s not the end of the decisions – there are also different types of asphalt shingles, depending on your roofing needs.
- Traditional asphalt shingles
Also called three-tab shingles, these single-layer shingles are cut into strips and easily installed onto a roof. As they are applied in a single layer, they typically appear flat. Because of the simple composition and installation, they can be seen as the most effective asphalt shingle option.
Although they are no longer commonly manufactured and offer limited options for color and style their close counterpart, dimensional shingles, have grown in popularity and lifetime value as a more durable replacement.
- Dimensional asphalt shingles
Also called architectural or laminate shingles, this is the most common type of asphalt shingle seen on homes. The dimensional shingle has multiple layers, creating more dimension to the roof and offering more durability than the traditional asphalt shingle due to the increased materials and weight.
- Premium asphalt shingles
Also called designer or luxury shingles, premium asphalt shingles live up to their name by offering durability performance, increased inclement weather protection and increased curb appeal for your home. Premium asphalt shingles are available in different colors and styles, and can imitate the look of cedar shake or slate roofing.
Most shingle types can also be specialized for performance, offering benefits like wind, fire or hail resistance depending on your concerns, or for certain aesthetic looks, like imitation wood or stone. Ask your roofing professional about performance-rated shingles to help protect your home.
Choosing the best option for your home
With the different types of asphalt shingles, as well as different styles and colors, the options for your home are limitless. So how do you know what’s best for your roofing project? Ask yourself these questions to get started:
- What is my budget? Do I want to invest more for a different type of asphalt shingle?
- Do I live in an area with severe hail or other inclement weather? Do I need a performance shingle?
- How do I want my roof to look? Are there restrictions I have to follow in my community?
- Is energy efficiency and environmental impact important to me?
Trust the experts at A. Clark Roofing & Siding for your asphalt shingles
If you’re not sure what type of asphalt shingle option is best for your home, consult a professional to learn more and make the most of your investment.
It’s important to keep in mind that no matter what type of shingle you choose for your home, the durability, protection and longevity of your roof depends on the quality of the product and the installation. The professionals at A. Clark Roofing & Siding have been trusted by Edmonton and Calgary homeowners since 1953 and are here to lend their expertise to your roof. Reach out for a free no-contact quote for your asphalt shingle needs today.