Spring has sprung and now it’s time to cleanup winter’s mess. This is also a great time to reach out to Edmonton roofers at A. Clark Roofing & Siding LP to help with your roof’s spring-cleaning and inspection. Not only will this make your home look better, it can also provide you with some peace of mind knowing that you’re actively extending the life of the roof through proper care and maintenance.
At A. Clark Roofing & Siding LP, we understand that your roof is your home’s first defense against harsh weather. Missing or damaged shingles may seem like a minor problem now but, if left unrepaired, they can lead to leaks, rot, and other serious damages. Here’s a few tips to look for during spring cleaning when it comes to roof inspections and spring cleaning:
- Tree limbs – if they are touching your roof they can easily scrape over the shingles and loosen the protective granules, severely reduce the life of a roof. This is the time to trim trees close to the house to avoid any future damage to your roof’s surface.
- Leaves and pine needles – a few are fine but if they collect and are deep enough to hold moisture, they need to be taken off the roof because anything that traps moisture will cause mildew to form, block gutters, or cause extra weight on the roof. A rake or air blower can be used to clear the roof, but take care not to damage the shingles.
- Moss – thrives on moisture so cutting back trees and removing leaves will reduce moss growth, as it will allow sunlight to dry up the moisture moss needs to survive. Another solution is to nail zinc or copper strips to the ridgeline; as rain washes across, it creates an environment where moss cannot grow.
- Mold – discolored streaks on a roof indicate there is mold, algae, or fungus, which can eat away at the roofing material and, ultimately, cause leaks. A treatment of chlorine bleach or copper sulfate solution applied with a garden sprayer can kill the mold – do not use a power washer, it can dislodge granules and cause premature shingle failure.
- Gutter damage – with the springtime rain on its way, remove leftover fall leaves and debris, check to make sure water can flow easily through the gutters, and fix any loose nails that are preventing the gutters from sitting tightly along the roof line.
- Missing shingles, chimney, and flashing – requires a complete inspection by a professional roofing contractor like Clark Roofing & Siding LP who can deal with these potential issues in a timely manner will allow your roof to stand strong through the next season of weather challenges, and for many years to come.
Edmonton Roofing Contractors
To learn more about spring cleaning your roof for your home or business, contact A. Clark Roofing & Siding LP at 780-465-7571 today for our skilled, honest, and, quality workmanship for residential and commercial roofing systems.