When was the last time you really paid attention to your roof? Inspecting your Edmonton roof regularly and making little fixes can prevent some costly repairs down the road.
So, what should you look for when inspecting your roof?
The American organization National Roofing Contractors Association (NRCA) recommends you do a roof inspection at least two times a year, spring and fall. The best place to begin is inside your house – grab a flashlight and make a trip to the attic.
Here are four things to look for on the inside:
- Places where the roof deck is sagging;
- Signs of water damage or leaking;
- Dark spots and trails;
- Outside light showing through the roof.
When you take a look at the exterior of the roof, pay attention to such things as damaged flashing, missing shingles, curling, blistering, buckling, rotting, and algae growth (appears as dark or greenish stains).
Here are a few tips on what to check on the outside:
- Visually inspect your roof for cracked, torn, bald or missing shingles.
- Scan the roof for loose material or wear around chimneys, vents, pipes or other penetrations.
- Watch out for an excessive amount of shingle granules (they look like large grains of sand) in the gutters – this is a sign of advanced wear.
- Check for signs of moisture, rot or mold. Note that wet spots may not be directly under your faulty shingle; water can travel down to its lowest spot before it drips. Mold, fungi and bacteria can grow quickly – within 24 to 48 hours of a water-related problem.
- Examine the drainage, and make sure gutters and downspouts are securely attached. Also ensure all drains are open and allow water to exit, and all gutters and downspouts are free of debris.
- Check that all bath, kitchen and dryer vents go entirely outside of your home, not just into the attic space.
Start protecting your Edmonton home by using some simple observation skills. If you find problems, it doesn’t necessarily mean you need to replace your roof. Many roof repairs can be made before a major rebuild is necessary. Your roof is what keeps you and your family safe from the sun and snow, lightning and rain.
If you have any questions regarding roof repair in Edmonton or, call A. Clark Roofing & Siding LP today at 780.465.7571. We’ll diagnose the problem, explain the specific types of roofing products and accessories required to fix it, and provide you with a written quote.