It seems strange that while everyone worries about making sure they have “a roof above their heads”, not too many of us think about the condition of that roof! That is a typical scenario of “if we can’t see a problem, it isn’t a problem”. However, when your roof leaks, it can be a big expense and even bigger hassle. Most roofing issues can be prevented just by performing routine maintenance on your rooftop.
Tips for Preventing a Leaking Roof
Roof leaks happen for a variety of reasons, though the most common is due to the decline of the roof’s quality. To prevent your roof from deteriorating and allowing water to creep inside, you can do a few things:
- Seal It Tight – All it takes is one small opening on your roof to allow water inside. Experienced Edmonton roofers can spot these openings and seal them before they become an issue. The most common areas that need sealing include skylights, chimney flashing, plumbing vents and even satellite installations.
- Damaged or Missing Shingles – Cracked or broken shingles and missing shingles compromise your roof’s integrity. If you notice any missing or broken shingles, contact a professional for roof repair in Edmonton right away.
- Take a Look in the Attic – Inspecting your roof is only half the process; you must inspect the attic too. Look for potential problems, such as signs of water damage (indicating your roof is already leaking), improper ventilation, condensation or bug infestations. If you notice any of these, it may be time to repair your roof.
- Clean Your Gutters – Gutters are an integral component to the effectiveness of your home’s roof. Not only should they be sloped and installed properly to allow drainage, but they must be cleaned out annually. Debris can cause a gutter to backup and flood into the fascia and roof, damaging it in the process.
- Do a Spring Cleaning on the Roof – Roofing companies in Edmonton can help clean up your rooftop while they are performing repairs. This can include removing branches, leaves, and making sure no trees are overhanging and potentially damaging your shingles.
Your roof needs maintenance just like your car. If you want to prevent leaks, you need to inspect, repair and keep it clean. A. Clark Roofing & Siding LP. can help you with all your annual roof maintenance needs. Whether it is just a few shingles you need replaced or a full inspection, we can help.
Call us today for an estimate from one of our Edmonton roofing contractors.