Spring is here and with the warmer weather it’s time to get out and improve the value and the curb appeal of your home. There’s no better way to differentiate and distinguish your home than with new vinyl, steel, or aluminum siding.
At A. Clark Roofing and Siding LP, we install a high quality, low-maintenance exterior siding, providing a modernized appearance for your home while increasing its value. If an affordable new siding option is still a few years away, you still need to maintain the siding you have currently – that generally means checking for winter damage and spring cleaning.
While vinyl siding is a low maintenance material, it still needs cleaning from time to time to remove dirt and grime as well as mold or mildew, protecting your investment. Some real estate appraisers suggest good curb appeal can add 5-10 percent to the value of your house.
Cleaning instructions are usually available from the vinyl siding manufacturer, and are often found on the siding warranty. If instructions are not available, or you’re not sure what brand of siding you have, follow the procedure below to clean your vinyl siding:
- Start with a garden hose equipped with a spray nozzle or a pressure washer set on a medium spray pattern;
- Make sure the pressure washer spray pattern is wide enough to prevent damage to the siding, and keep the nozzle moving;
- Start at the bottom and work your way up; then rinse from the top, working your way down to prevent streaking; and,
- To prevent water from running behind the siding, spray even with or down on the siding, and spray in the direction of the overlapped joints.
For periodic cleaning to prevent mildew and algae buildup, just wash your home each year with a solution of liquid dish soap and water.
If the vinyl siding needs additional cleaning, add special cleaning solution designed for siding, or mix up the following in a bucket to use to clean by hand:
- 1 gallon water
- 1/3 cup powered laundry detergent
- 2/3 cup TSP (trisodium phosphate) cleaner
Use a soft bristle car cleaning brush to scrub vinyl siding gently in sections, starting at the bottom and working your way up and then rinse starting at the top and working your way down. Always protect yourself by wearing appropriate clothing and safety precautions when working with strong chemical cleaners.
With a bit of preventative maintenance, your home’s siding could be trouble-free for years. If you have siding concerns call A. Clark Roofing & Siding LP at 780.465.7571 – we’re the neighbor you can trust for your roofing and siding needs in Edmonton.