Life is tough, things wear down and break over time and for most items, people generally know when an item needs replacing because these are the items we interact with daily. But what about all those ‘out of sight, out of mind’ items, this is where it gets more complicated for most of us, like the roof of our home for example. The reality is that a roof replacement is not always readily apparent – unless it collapses, catches fire, or gets crushed by a tree.
A. Clark Roofing & Siding LP has been Edmonton and St. Albert’s knowledgeable and friendly roofing contractor for more than 60 years. Replacing a few shingles or fixing a persistent leak are often temporary measures, and often signs that a roof replacement should be under consideration in the near future. But how do you know for sure?
Here are a few signs that indicate that it may be time to replace your roof from the outside:
• Age – a 20-year warranty suggests 20 years of life, so if your roof hasn’t been replaced in well over two decades, you should start thinking about putting on a new roof.
• Neighbors – homes built around the same time period can experiencing the same types of weather conditions, meaning that your roof is nearing its useful life also – this is one time to consider the “if everyone else is doing it” factor. Curb appeal can also help maintain the home’s value in our competitive real-estate market.
• Looks – if you have wet, stained, curled, bent, broken, darker than normal, or missing shingles, then consider replacing all of them at once. Airborne algae and moss can negatively affect the appearance and function of your roof as well. If you start seeing granules in your gutters, yard, and landscaping, they’re coming from your roof, suggesting some action is required soon.
And from the inside of your home:
• Roof Deck – consists of the support beams that hold your shingles and roof up. If these beams are sagging or show evidence of moisture damage, you should replace both your shingles and your roof deck.
• Leaks – after a rainstorm or when snow melts is the time to check for signs of water and wet insulation. If you can see inside your attic without a light, it may be roof replacement time.
• Increased Energy Cost – a good roof acts as an insulator against heat and cold invading your home, an increasing need for your air conditioner or heater suggest an improperly insulated attic, making it harder to maintain a comfortable temperature in your home.
Roof Replacement in Edmonton
If any of these symptoms sounds like your home, don’t procrastinate and allow the condition to worsen. A roof replacement can be a significant investment, so make sure it’s done right. If you have questions about roof inspections and replacement, or any of our roofing services, contact A. Clark Roofing and Siding LP in Edmonton and St. Albert at 780-465-7571 today.