There’s an old song about those “April showers” and while they bring us the “flowers in May,” they also bring a reminder to check your home’s exterior for winter’s damage. Taking care of your gutters and roof is a must when it comes to your spring-cleaning. In Edmonton, when home and business owners need maintenance or replacements, they can count on A. Clark Roofing & Siding LP for affordable siding and eavestroughing done right.
As for the fundamentals, overflowing eavestroughs, gutters, and downspouts that drain right next to the house can lead to water in your home. Downspouts should guide the water well away from the foundation; two metres is a minimum recommendation and the ground should slope away from the foundation. When it comes to inspection and cleaning we offer these valuable tips to help you in the process of cleaning your roof and gutters.
Step 1: Inspection
Before you look at your gutters, you need to verify the condition of your roof for because it acts as a shield against our climate. Here’s a few suggestions of what to look for:
• Check for interior deterioration that might point to gutter and/or roof problems.
• Inspect for a buildup of debris and vegetation such as moss or lichen – this may occur with improper gutter sloping.
• Check for adequate slope and drainage towards downspouts during cleaning.
• Inspect for gutters that are split or cracked with loose, broken, out of place, hangers, corners or slopes, or pulling of fasteners, broken joints or seams; excessive staining or punctures of gutter fabric. Repair immediately.
• Look for corrosion around nails. Check for deterioration of adjacent roof and soffit areas, and behind downspouts. Look for peeling paint or stains, or eroded mortar joints on adjacent surfaces.
• Make sure all downspout connections have wire strainers that are properly installed. Strainers will block large debris and leaves that can block downspouts and sewer lines.
• Gently flush your gutters with a garden hose or a gutter cleaning tool after you have cleaned them to verify proper drainage.
• Inspecting your roof and your gutters can dangerous. If you are not confident, hire the professionals to avoid any incidents.
Step 2: Cleaning
Spring is one of the best times to clean them because you are preparing for the rain storms that summer brings:
• Manually clear out debris and vegetation that is jammed;
• Test the water flow in each downpipe; and
• Unblock your downspouts.
With 60 years of experience and a 5-year workmanship warranty, you can trust A. Clark Roofing & Siding LP for your Edmonton roofing and eavestrough needs. For a free quote call us today at 780.465.7571.