The roof of your home or investment property is an integral component to the building’s structural integrity. While most roofs are designed to last 25 years or more, that’s a very long period where any multitude of issues can affect the roofing materials. When it comes to warrantees, every manufacturer has a different measurement criteria as to what can void that warranty.
A. Clark Roofing and Siding LP has been installing new roofs, replacing, and repairing old roofs for 60 years in Edmonton and St. Albert, and we’ve seen the damage created by unlicensed contractors and optimistic DIYers. A. Clark’s knowledgeable and friendly roofing contractors specialize in meeting all your roofing needs, and we offer a five-year workmanship warranty on a variety of roofing systems from asphalt fibreglass shingles to metal tiles.
To prevent damage to your roofing system, and maintain its warranty, it’s important to understand what your roof warranty covers and what actions to avoid to keep it valid.
Here’s a few of the more common reasons why a roofing warranty claim may be rejected:
- Installing a new roof on top of your old roof can void or shorten your warranty. As the second layer expends heat more slowly, it will shorten the shingle lifespan and can cause the new shingles to bulge and wear unevenly.
- Roofing manufacturers have strict regulations regarding how their roofs are installed – use the wrong amount or size of nail could be reason enough.
- Improper roof ventilation causes moisture and heat to get trapped in your attic, resulting in the bottom side of shingles wearing prematurely and fading.
- A hot roof lacks ventilation because the roof sheathing is coated with spray foam insulation, causing the shingle temperature to rise, resulting in faded color and a shorter lifespan for the shingles.
- Pressure washing your roof to remove moss or other debris can damage the roofing shingles granules causing them to deteriorate and separate from the asphalt, as well as an increased risk of frost damage causing cracks.
- Antennas and satellite dishes can affect your roofing warranty where they are installed, since drilling holes into a roof makes it more susceptible to leaks. When it comes to rental property, it’s important to ensure satellite installation is permitted.
Call Your Edmonton Roofer
Always review your warranty before proceeding with any roofing project to ensure any modifications will not void your roofing warranty. And if you’re ever in doubt, contact A. Clark Roofing & Siding LP to install an attractive roof that will hopefully last beyond the warranty. Call our Edmonton roofers today at 780-465-7571 for a free quote.